Who uses these vehicle tracking systems though? What type of company can benefit from the implementation of this GPS technology? Companies that have large numbers of contractors out on the road, such as electrical and plumbing businesses are rapidly implementing tracking solutions. It is not just contractors however, limousine and taxi companies can use vehicle tracking software to increase their efficiency and haulers can use the technology to keep track of particularly valuable assets.
Normally a GPS vehicle tracking system will consist of a tracking device placed inside a vehicle along with a central server and software that lets the user track the fleet from headquarters. The information is relayed using geostationary positioning satellites that give any fleet vehicle’s speed, position and direction of travel. The device inside the vehicle transmits its position on regular intervals in order to remain up to date at all times. The interval is usually around every two to fifteen minutes depending upon the manufacturer’s and owner’s preferences.
But why go to the expense of implementing a vehicle tracking system? Here are ten of the most common reasons.
1. Vehicle tracking systems can help to reduce running costs by specifically targeting those who speed and waste fuel. By focussing upon these drivers it is possible to not only reduce fuel and maintenance bills, but to also reduce insurance premiums.
2. By using a system’s automatic mileage reminder it is possible to reduce time wasted through vehicle maintenance. In addition, by having a service that ensures your vehicles are regularly serviced means that resale values for the fleet will also be higher. It can also help to avoid penalties for issues such as bald tyres and tax as reminders are clear and precise.
3. Some insurance companies will offer around a thirty percent discount to companies who implement a GPS vehicle tracking system. This is not only because it encourages safer driving, but also helps recovery if thefts do occur.
4. Productivity of workers can be increased by being able to keep track of lunch hours, exposing unauthorised stops and breaks and by evaluating the overtime requests of workers. By having detailed information on the whereabouts of vehicles at all times, it is far easier to keep an eye on employee activities.
5. GPS devices help businesses to become more customer friendly. For instance, a cab company that is using a vehicle tracking system can tell a customer exactly where the nearest cab is and give a realistic estimate on how long it will be.
6. Business owners can find their most productive employees and use this information to implement further training or even a system of bonuses to enhance staff members’ work ethic.
7. Vehicle tracking systems will vastly reduce your phone bills as it is no longer a necessity to constantly call employees to find their location.
8. By having all the relevant information on one screen, those running the software have easy access to answer enquiries rapidly and accurately.
9. GPS systems reduce the amount of paperwork that drivers must fill out. By doing this you not only soften the blow of introducing such a system, but also increase the accuracy of your records.
10. By having detailed information on the whereabouts of all employees, business owners are far more in touch with their business operations. Meaning they have greater levels of control over their company.